In January of 1989, Robert E. Fitzgerald led the effort to have the Colorado Consistory No. One, the newly designated headquarters of the Rocky Mountain Masonic organizations, listed as a Denver Landmark. Soon after, he designed and coordinated the renovation of the 14,000 s.f. grand ballroom of the Scottish Rite Temple which had suffered years of neglect and water damage.
The addition to St. Michael the Archangel Church was designed according to multiple ideas. It was believed early on that the building needed to respond to multiple criteria of form and function; needed to react to multiple stimuli of climate, context, and use; and needed to satisfy a community's perceptions of beauty, assembly, and service to God.
The parishioners at the New Hope Baptist Church (founded in Denver in 1922) had, for many years, struggled in an inner city, run down environment that severely limited their ability to grow, to preach and to foster an aire of community relations. Reverend Dr. James D. Peters, Jr., the Pastor of the community in 1993, came to Robert Fitzgerald with a strictly limited budget and an unlimited enthusiasm.
In the late 1990's, Robert Fitzgerald was approached by the late Frank Morrison, who had been Governor of Nebraska in the early 1960's. Gov. Morrison said that he had left office without accomplishing one of his major life's goals: to construct a monument somewhere in Nebraska which celebrated the lives of the people who had migrated westward and struggled for survival on the Great Platte River Road.
The first phase of the development of the Aurora Municipal City Center, the 205,000 s.f. Justice Center was comprised of a new detention facility, the centrally located and domed courthouse building and an addition to the existing, and well-worn police station for the major suburb community near Denver. Robert E. Fitzgerald was the lead designer for what was to be the last project of the Denver office of Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill.